Lately I’ve been working on a Straight Killer Rye recipe.
When I have it dialed in, I will share, but so far here’s what I’ve figured out:
- Rye is much heavier and denser, and you need more water. And you get a workout mixing the dough!
- My best loaf was a 50/50 mix of rye and all-purpose flours.
- What REALLY gives a loaf that “rye” flavor and smell? Caraway seeds!
- I like the loaves better where I used honey instead of the traditional molasses.
- Rye needs to bake a little longer.
- It makes great shingles (toast).